UPDATED: June 11, 2009 4:30 p.m.
The two Lebanese suspects (Karaki Ali Mohammad and Najmaddin Ali Huseyn) were traveling under Iranian passports and had planned multiple attacks. According to the Jerusalem Post today, Azeri officials have reported in the media that the suspects are members of Hezbollah and have ties to the Iranian Revolutionary Guards and al-Qaida. Hezbollah has vowed to avenge the death of its terror mastermind Imad (no relation 🙂 ) Mugniyeh, who was blown to bits in a car-bomb explosion early last year. No one has claimed responsibility for the blast.
Azerbaijan court confirms two Lebanese
on trial for terror plot
Suspects ‘connected to Hizbullah And Al-Qaeda’
By Agence France Presse (AFP)
Tuesday, June 02, 2009
BAKU: Two Lebanese and four Azerbaijanis have gone on trial on terrorism charges in Baku for planning an attack on the Israeli Embassy in Azerbaijan’s capital, an official said Monday.
The trial, which began on May 27, is being held behind closed doors and has been adjourned until June 10, a spokesman for Azerbaijan’s serious crimes court told AFP on condition of anonymity.
“According to the indictment, the citizens of Lebanon … arrived in Azerbaijan under orders to commit acts of terrorism,” the spokesman said.
He said they were “connected to” the Lebanese Shiite resistance group Hizbullah and the Sunni Al-Qaeda network…